Internet Safety Tips
Family wants to make the Internet a safe and fun place and encourage you to follow these Safety Tips online:
- Keep your personal information private – don’t give out your name, phone number, school or address without a parent/guardian’s permission.
- Most social networking sights such as Facebook and Twitter will let you choose who can see your posts. Ask an adult to help you change your privacy settings.
- Keep in mind that anything you share on social media – even in private – could be seen by someone you don’t want to see it. Always think twice before clicking “post” or “send”!
- If you see anything inappropriate or upsetting online, ask a parent or trusted adult for advice on how to avoid it. Remember, it’s not your fault you saw this!
- If someone sends you something rude over email or social media, DO NOT RESPOND – instead, speak to a responsible adult.
- If you’re sharing photos or videos that have other people in them, always ask them for permission first.
- Don’t buy something online or download anything without permission from an adult.
- Never agree to hang out in person with someone you’ve met online. Remember that people may not be who they say they are!
- Keep your passwords SECRET! Not even your BFFs need to know!
- Stand UP! against bullying – don’t gossip or humiliate anyone! If you want more information about cyber-bullying or any bullying, visit http://www.family.ca/standup/